Wells is located in York County, and was the
third town established in Maine, incorporated on July 5, 1653 from a
portion of the town of Webbannet. Named by Sir Fernando Gorges for
the English city of the same name, Wells was first settled in 1641.
It has the distinction of being the only Maine town not conquored
during the various French and Indian wars between 1650 and 1730. Its
spectacular beaches have made it an attraction for centuries.
Ogunquit, the resort community, was part of Wells until 1980. The
Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge consists of 3,600 acres of
marsh and upland wildlife habitat. A mile-long trail
(handicapped-accessible) offers vistas of the marshes and the ocean,
plus many kinds of
shorebirds, ducks, and geese. The trail begins at the refuge
headquarters on Route 9 at the Wells/Kennebunk line. The Wells
National Research Reserve is an educational and research facility
with 1,600 acres, 7 miles of trails that take you through old
fields, woods, marshes and to the beach. During
the summer there are guided tours, junior research programs and
research projects on birds, the sea level and water.
Population Density: 163
Average Property Value: $274,950
Area: 61.9 sq miles
Official Web site